Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Alcoholism Case

In Alcoholism Case ( in which the patient presents to get treatment for Alcoholism ) you have to do detailed counseling

Patient is an abuser, and you have to ask CAGE questions during the HPI (history of presenting illenss)

At the end of the case educate the patient as follows


Mr XYZ being your physician I am very much cnocerned about your health. I have to tell you that you consume a lot of Alcohol, its not good for your health. It can damage your heart, it can damage your stomach and may even cause Cancer.

As you are the one who is primarily responsible for your health it is your responsibility to reduce or stop drinking

what you can do now is to keep a record of your drinking patterns by maintaining a diary

record the quantity, timing and circumstances, which make you drink.

I know its not easy to quit but will power and determination is the key.

I can prescribe you drugs like ant-abuse which can help you quit

You can also join support groups like Alcoholic Anonymous, where you can get in touch with many other people who have been through this.

Ok Mr XYZ, I would like you to see me back in a few days

No comments: